Whether you are looking to improve your system by purchasing better PC components or if you’re reselling your system and want to list the specs of all of its existing hardware, it’s relatively easy to find out what kind of components are built into a given system. It helps to easily recognize where an upgrade is necessary and where the hardware fulfills the requirements.
In this easy but concise guide about how to check your pc hardware specifications, we will get you through each step to quickly find the hardware inside your computer. You can easily find the information related to the Graphics Card, CPU, RAM, Storage, and other peripherals in a few clicks.
How to Check Full PC Specs Windows 10?
Checking the computer hardware specifications is quite similar for all Windows versions. However, small differences can slightly modify the procedure to check the specifications on different OS.
Your PC specifications benchmark the performance capabilities of your rig. It is useful information to learn about the hardware your computer has inside. To check PC specs on Windows 10 following methods are helpful.
1) Using Control Panel
If you are confused and wondering how to check PC specs Windows 10, the easiest way to do it is by visiting the Control Panel. It has all the necessary information that you need to know about your computer hardware and software.
Accessing the Control Panel is easier, and you are probably already aware of how you can open it. For the newbies, we are listing the step by step method for accessing the Control Panel and checking the specification:
- Open Start Menu by pressing the Windows Key or clicking the Start Menu icon on the taskbar.
- Once it gets opened, click on Control Panel. In the main window, you can see all the utilities of the Control Panel.
- Locate System and Security and then click on System in the next window.
- It will open the computer specifications.
- You can observe other options in the main window of System and Security like RAM.
You can click on the Hardware and Sound for different devices connected with your computer and see what information it carries. It is the utility that helps you find the specs of the PC hardware information, install new hardware, and find the specs of connected devices.
2) Using My Computer Icon
It is the easiest and quickest way to find the computer specifications on Windows 10. You don’t have to deal with the extensive steps and go through different settings in this method. In only a few clicks, you can get the computer specifications.
Follow these steps to access the computer specs using the My Computer icon easily.
- Open the Desktop on Windows 10.
- Right-click on the My Computer icon and click on Properties from the menu.
- After you hit the Properties option from the context menu, it will open the computer specifications on a new screen.
3) Using System Information
System information is an excellent way to get an x-ray of the system specifications on Windows 10. It helps to diagnose the hardware and list the computer’s technical specifications. To get an overview of the hardware inside the computer, follow these steps.
- Open the Start menu of Windows 10 or Windows 7.
- Search msinfo32 in the search bar and watch for the results. Open System Information App to go ahead.
- Once it opens, it summarizes the System Summary on the category given on the left panel.
- You can expand the selection to watch the computer specification on the right side. It has all the information about processor brand, system model, system memory, virtualization support, BIOS support types, and motherboard brand.
- You can expand the option to see the components’ details and get the information related to them. There is even a search option that lets you narrow down the information about any specific component and get the result related to the hardware.
4) By Using DirectX Tool
It is a method that is not native to Windows 10 as it is a go-to option in every Windows version for checking the hardware information. DirectX Diagnostic Tool is helpful to show the information related to the Sound and Video while giving you the ability to troubleshoot any problems.
However, it is widely used to check the hardware of the computer. To get started with the tool for checking the PC hardware specifications, here are the steps:
- Press Windows+R Key or open Windows Start.
- Now type “dxdiag” in the search bar and press Enter.
- It will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- I got to the System tab inside the tool.
- It will list the hardware specification under the System Information section. You can check the information related to the processor, BIOS, memory, and Windows edition in this section.
- If you want to check the graphics card’s information, memory, and display details, you can check the Display tab.
5) Use PowerShell
The difficulty level of this method is medium as most people are not aware of PowerShell and its usage in Windows 10. To get started with this method, here are the steps:
- Click on the Start Menu of Windows 10.
- Search in the bar for PowerShell and then Run as Administrator the top result.
- It will open the PowerShell windows.
- Copy or type the command given below, and press Enter to check the computer specification.
- Get-Computer Info
- Once you use the command, PowerShell will display the list of hardware information that is essential for your consideration.
6) Third-Party Tools
We have listed the methods you can utilize to check the hardware specification of PC using the Windows native software. However, these specifications are sometimes not as detailed as you want to know. It especially concerns me as not many people are aware of how to check your PC’s full specifications.
Some third-party tools help you check the computer hardware specs with a single click. These tools to check computer hardware are also very effective in providing a detailed view of the specification of each component present on your computer. Some of these tools include:
How to Check Computer Specs Using CMD?
The CMD method is similar to the PowerShell method, with only a slight change in the Command. It is equally useful for Windows 10 and Windows 10 as CMD is operative on both platforms. However, the PowerShell method has limitations for Windows 10. Here are the steps that you can utilize to check the PC hardware specifications using CMD:
- Open Start by pressing the Windows Key.
- Type Command Prompt or CMD into the search bar.
- Please right-click on the top result and run it as Administrator.
- When the program opens, type the “Systeminfo” command and press Enter.
It will give you output about the hardware and software of the computer. You can check your pc component’s information related to network, BIOS, system architecture, and Windows using the CMD method.
How to Check What Graphics Card You Have?
If you want the information specific to the graphics card and want to cut the time looking for other methods, this method can help you get the information faster. Here are the steps that are essential to finding the graphics card on any version of Windows:
- Go to the desktop and right-click My Computer to open the Device Manager. Alternatively, you can search it directly from the Start.
- Once you open the software, go to the Display Adapter.
- It will list the GPU currently installed on your computer.
Alternatively, you can use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool method given above to get the detailed specifications about the graphics card, its memory, and other things you may want to look into for the review.
How to Check Your PC Specs Online?
There is a workaround if you want to check the computer specifications online without going into complex computer settings or installing third-party tools. Many websites provide utility to check the specifications online. Websites like System requirement lab show the PC hardware specifications with a few clicks.
Alternatively, you can search the model of your computer or manufacturer online. You can find the model number beneath the laptop and on the case on the desktop computer. However, this method is not helpful for custom-made rigs due to modified parts inside the computer. Most of the procedure will work to check my computer specs in windows 7.
When you’re thinking about upgrading your computer’s components, it’s important to consider whether the new pieces will fit with your old ones. For example, if you have an older motherboard, you won’t upgrade to a new processor because the two pieces may not work together. Old motherboard sometimes limits the upgrade as it can only handle the GPU till a certain power value. If you plan on upgrading any components, keep in mind that sometimes it’d be ideal to invest in a new computer altogether. Your old computer cannot accommodate the latest components, and it needs to rethink the upgrade altogether.