Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting, this could be very discomforting while you are enjoying your favorite music or while talking to someone on call. Well, there is a good news, you are not the only one facing this problem.
Ever since earbuds or AirPods were introduced in the market, thousands of users have complained about this issue. The problem is this huge that it is still at large, and even Apple technology could not solve the problem.
Step-by-step instructions are provided in this article to help you fix your AirPods randomly disconnecting issue. Whether you are watching Netflix, making a call, or listening to music, your AirPods got disconnected.
This ultimate guide has written all of the working methods that you can apply to fix the issue. The strategies mentioned in this article have worked for me and some of my friends, and you can also benefit from them.
Now pull yourself together, take a deep breath and believe you can do it.
My AirPods Keep Disconnecting
Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting with full battery? It is a question asked by AirPods users since its launch. There are several reasons why AirPods keep disconnecting from iPhone and other Bluetooth devices.
It could be anything, software issue, signal quality, or maybe a hardware problem. These problems first occurred in 2016, and at some intervals, and it keeps popping up. Keeping that experience in mind, we should be prepared because this could happen in the future too.
The AirPods keep disconnecting and reconnecting during phone calls. Most callers complain that they cannot hear their voice in-between a call or your AirPods cut out in the middle of a conversation. You may have also encountered the issue when playing music via your iPhone or Android device.
As mentioned above, the problem could be anything. It could be the sensors inside the AirPods that determine the earbuds are in your ears or not. The problem could be with the Bluetooth interface or the microphones.
However, the issue does not matter anymore because we have all the possible solutions to fix your AirPods disconnecting problem.
How to Fix Your AirPods Disconnecting Problem?
The most common question asked by the AirPods user is the same, why do my AirPods keep disconnecting. There is no specific answer for that because there are several different factors influencing at a time.
But in this guide, we are willing to teach you everything, every method that we know so far. We will tell you how to connect till how to disconnect AirPods. These little life hacks will help you in life.
Here are the possible solutions you can apply to fix your earbuds and enjoy the constant sound without any hassle.
Method 1: Check Your AirPods Battery
If your AirPods keep disconnecting, then it is the first thing to check your AirPods battery whether it’s fully charged or not charged.
There is no standard issue with the AirPods, but it depends on using them. A common mistake that we all make is that we often believe that we left AirPods in the charging case and assume that they will be charged.
However, we forget that the charging case could itself out of battery. You can quickly check your Apple devices’ AirPods and AirPods case charging status. Follow these steps to get your answer:
- First thing first, grab your AirPods case and place the AirPods in the case if they are not already there.
- Keep the lid open and hold the case close to your Apple device.
- Now, you should find a bit pop-up open on your Apple device (iPhone or IPad) that shows the level of the battery of your AirPods and AirPods case.
- Suppose the battery is too low, then probably you know what to do. Keep the AirPods in the AirPods case and plug in the charger until it’s fully charged.
Moreover, you can also check the AirPods charge on your iPhone and IPad’s batteries widget.
To check that, you just need to follow these steps:
- Swap right from your homepage to get to the Widgets section.
- Now, scroll down and look for the Batteries Widget.
- If still you cannot find it, then hit the ‘Edit’ button and add the Batteries widget.
Now you can check your battery and charge it if needed. If the issue is still not resolved, you can proceed to the following solutions.
Method 2: Re-Establishing the Connection
If the AirPods keep disconnecting from pc or smartphone, you can solve the issue by re-establishing the connection between your earbuds and your device.
You need to follow simple steps to get the answer of why do my AirPods keep disconnecting from your devices, which are as follows:
- Put the AirPods back into their smart case or charging case.
- Wait for 10 to 15 seconds while keeping them in case.
- Take them out and wait for reconnecting.
Hopefully, this method will secure your connection and prevent disconnecting again and again.
Method 3: Check Your Bluetooth
One of the essential things is to make sure that Bluetooth is turned on properly on your device while using AirPods.
If you are on an Apple device (iPhone or iPad), then you need to follow these steps:
- Tap on “Bluetooth” in your iPhone or iPad’s “Settings” app.
- Then, switch off the Bluetooth, and it would be best to wait for at least 10 to 15 seconds.
- Next, turn back on the Bluetooth and reconnect back.
- Now, when the Bluetooth is turned on, place your AirPods in the case with the lid open.
- The AirPods will appear with “a name” under “My Devices.” It will appear as “Not Connected,” so you will need to tap on it to connect your iPhone or iPad.
Alternatively, if you have a Mac, you will need to follow these steps:
- At first, open the lid while your AirPods are in the case.
- Then, click on the Bluetooth icon in Menu Bar.
- In the end, hover the cursor over the AirPods with the charging point on the menu.
Now, when you have made the connection of AirPods with Mac, you can check the audio by playing a video to see the disconnect issue is resolved or not.
Method 4: Disable Automatic Ear Detection
If your AirPods won’t stay connected, you can disable the automatic ear detection feature. This feature automatically detects when the AirPods are in your ears.
However, this feature can cause the problem and do audio disconnect when you change the left or suitable AirPods while wearing them.
If you don’t know why do my AirPods keep disconnecting, this method could helpful and disabling automatic ear detection could be helpful.
Follow these steps if your AirPods keep disconnecting Android or Apple devices:
- Go to Setting on your smartphone.
- Tap on “Bluetooth” and tap on the “Info” icon next to the AirPods.
- Here, you can disconnect the “Automatic Ear Detection” feature.
If the AirPods max keep disconnecting and annoying you, you can follow this procedure on it, and frankly, I have used it myself. My AirPods are still working famously, and whenever they irritate me, I use one of these methods.
Method 5: Resetting the AirPods
If your AirPods constantly disconnecting, resetting them would not be a bad option. Frankly, resetting AirPods has solved the disconnecting problem for several users.
Not to mention, it helps to fix the AirPods for me, and I found it very useful. Here’s how you improve your AirPods in minutes:
- In the first step, you need to place the AirPods back in their case and shut the lid.
- Wait for approximately 30 seconds, so the AirPods get adequately disconnected.
- If you use your Apple device to connect to AirPods, you need to go to the Setting.
- Then, select Bluetooth and tap on the “i” icon next to the AirPods.
- After that, tap on the “Forget This Device” and then tap on “Confirm.”
- Now, you can open the lid but don’t take the AirPods out and look for the pairing button on the case’s back.
- Press and hold the pairing button for 15 to 20 seconds.
- You would feel the change in light. This change indicates that the AirPods are resetting.
Now you can simply connect the AirPods again and enjoy the audio without constant disconnecting. But make sure your AirPods are fully charged; otherwise, you would face the challenges again in connecting.
I hope you get the answer and solution of your query why do my AirPods keep disconnecting.
Method 6: Restarting Apple Watch
If your AirPods keep disconnecting from apple watch, you need to restart your Apple Watch, and you need to make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your Apple watch.
You need to go into your Apple watch setting and then Bluetooth and then follow a simple process of resetting the AirPods, which is as follows:
- Place the AirPods back in their case, close the lid, and wait for 30 seconds, so the AirPods get disconnected.
- Were you using an Apple device to connect AirPods? You need to go to the SettingSetting, select Bluetooth, and tap on the “i” icon.
- Tap “Ignore this device.”
- Now come back to the charging case and keep the lid open. Then, press the button on the back for 15 seconds. It will display flash amber and then white.
These steps should effectively repair the connection of the Apple watch with your AirPods. Now, you can begin the connectivity and enjoy whatever you want.
Method 7: AirPods as Audio Device
If you are facing the problem AirPods keep disconnecting from iPad, you should make sure that your AirPods are selected as the primary audio device.
These things happen fast without your knowing die to the sensors designs. The sensors are specifically designed to identify as soon as inserted in your ears. That’s why you should make sure that AirPods are working fine.
Find out why do my AirPods keep disconnecting and what is the solution. Follow the following steps to have a look at the AirPods are selected as your primary audio device:
- At first, choose any of your favorite music-playing apps like Spotify, Google Play, soundtrack, Pandora on your device and then select the “AirPlay” icon.
- Now, choose your “AirPods” from the list of audio options.
If you are not into music much, you can do this when you are on a call, and you can choose AirPods from audio options on your screen. You can easily change the audio source by tapping on the screen during the call.
But if there is no other problem with your device, this would be an excellent opportunity to get to know more about maintaining your AirPods. If you feel there is something else, you must feel free to read more methods.
Method 8: One Airpod at a Time
Using one airport at a time is not as easy as you think. You would not love it at first, but if you have only one pair of earbuds, then this would be the best trick you can think of at this moment. It saves your battery and prevents AirPods from randomly disconnecting issues.
According to several Apple support communities, why do my AirPods keep disconnecting is a valid question and the issue can be overcome by using one Airpod instead of two. In simple words, the disconnect issue occurs less frequently when one airpod is used rather than both.
Here is the simple procedure to do it:
- On iOS devices, you need to go to the Settings app and then tap on the Bluetooth. Meantime, you need to keep the AirPods case open.
- Then, tap the icon “i,” next to AirPods, and then select “Microphone” from the long list of options.
- At this moment, you should find the SettingSetting, and it should be set on Automatic. It means both of your AirPods are offering you microphone capabilities.
- Now, you can tweak it and make it so that you can use either your right Airpod or left Airpod. You need to select “Always Left Airpod” or “Always Right Airpod.”
Now, you can enjoy one Airpod at a time; this would be better in various ways. First of all, you get rid of AirPods 1 keep disconnecting issue, and then you can save a lot of power with it.
One Airpod at a time is also helpful while switching from songs to call; they don’t disconnect. Moreover, when you have to change the Airpod, you must follow the procedure mentioned and choose another earbud.
Method 9: Firmware Issues & Solution
There are a lot of complaints about AirPods keep disconnecting, and this issue surfaced with the firmware 6.8.8 update in 2019.
According to several users, there were a plethora of audio issues faced by the users after the update. The left Airpod keeps disconnecting sometimes, and AirPods shut down after 45 minutes of music.
Other times, AirPods gets disconnected mostly for 10 seconds during a call, or the right Airpod keeps disconnecting several times in a row. Moreover, switching from music to call results in call disconnection of AirPods.
The firmware issue remains for 1st Gen AirPods while the AirPods 2, AirPods Pro got the new updated version. This new update has resolved all the disconnecting issues in the latest AirPods.
That’s why if you have AirPods Pro and AirPods 2, you need to make sure to update them with the latest firmware available. Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting? Disconnecting Airpods is a big issue, you need to follow these steps:
- Tap the iOS “Setting” app and then tap on the Bluetooth.
- Now, find your AirPods in the list of the available devices.
- Then, tap on the “i” icon bedsides the AirPods.
- On the webpage, you can check the latest firmware versions for your AirPods. Choose the newest version to avoid disconnecting and again and again.
- If it doesn’t work, you can simply connect your AirPods to your iPhone with your Wi-Fi on. And this is going to automatically install the update.
This little exercise and following a simple method will provide fantastic sound quality without lagging and disconnecting, which is the main issue here.
Again, you need to continuously update the firmware when the new update arrives. It will advance the settings of your earbuds and provide you with better service.
Method 10: AirPods Keep Disconnecting on Mac
AirPods are not perfect, and they can sometimes be irritating when they keep disconnecting while you are enjoying music or watching your favorite movies.
There are ways you can fix the AirPods disconnecting problem with your Mac. To prevent the issues, you and make a smooth connection need to follow these steps:
- At first, open your system preferences on your Mac and then proceed towards the sound.
- Then, do you see your AirPods under the output tab? If it is visible, select your AirPods; however, if you do not see them, then use other methods and test whether the problem is with earbuds or something else.
- In the end, repeat the procedure under the input tab as well.
Following this process should set the AirPods on your Mac to completely sync up. Following these methods will provide a good connection of your AirPods with your device in the long run.
Method 11: Clean Your AirPods
To maintain your AirPods in the long run and prevent the AirPods keep disconnecting, you need to clean earbuds with routine maintenance. The most significant way to clean your AirPods is using specially crafted AirPods buds.
They are made to clean the speaker grills as well as crevices. Once you clean it with the buds, you can use some cloth designed to clean the device to wipe out debris and dust.
However, if you don’t have both of these things, you can use a soft toothbrush and gently brush the speaker grills of the AirPods. In addition, grab a clean cloth and clean it every time you touch it.
The critical thing to remember here is, you need to lightly damp the cloth in water or alcohol, and then you can proceed to clean it out. You just need to be cautious and not overuse alcohol or water on it.
These speakers on the AirPods are delicate and don’t use excessive liquid near them. If you do, then things could be much worse than just disconnecting. Moreover, any other cleaning method, such as a safety pin or tissue, can destroy the AirPods.
AirPods Keep Disconnecting Windows 10 PC
Unlike other devices, iPhones, and iPads, AirPods keep disconnecting Windows 10 PC is a little challenging. That’s because there are several possible issues involved in this scenario. Before proceeding, you need to make sure that your AirPods have an updated firmware version.
Let’s walk through some of the critical techniques which help you in preventing AirPods keep disconnecting.
Utilize Service App
The first way to prevent AirPods from keep disconnecting is to set your ‘Bluetooth services’ to Automatic in the Windows Services app.
This SettingSetting of software to automatic in the Windows Services app allows them to start or finish without user intervention. It is revolutionary for those people who have to run without any interference.
To change the Service app from manual to automatic, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows taskbar and search for the ‘Services’ app by clicking the search icon.
- In the new Window of ‘Services,’ you need to scroll down to locate “Bluetooth Audio Gateway Service and ‘Bluetooth Support Service.
- First, go to the Bluetooth Audio Gateway Service and double-click on it. Next, select Automatic Startup from the startup menu. You do the same with Bluetooth Support Service.
- Once you apply all the changes, you need to restart the device and experience yourself if the problem exists.
Doing this will ultimately save you from several complications, and you will be able to use AirPods without disconnecting.
Disable Power Management
If you use AirPods with a Windows PC, you may have observed when you pause the movie or song on, the automatic function of ON/OFF inside your AirPods causes them to disconnect in an attempt to save energy.
It is because the AirPods automatic setting assumes no device is connected. These are pretty common issues among AirPods users, and here is the solution.
To fix AirPods pro keep disconnecting, you can alter some of the settings within Windows:
- Go to the Start button and right-click on it.
- Click on the device manager.
- Click on View, and ensure that ‘Devices by types’ is the chosen option.
- Now, you must expand the Human Interfaced Devices section, and here you will find two entities:
- “<Name> AirPods Audio/Video Remote Control HID” and “<Name> AirPods Hands-Free Call Control HID”
- Right-click on each and select properties.
- Now, click on the ‘Power Management. Here check on the ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option, and then choose ‘OK,’
- The AirPods do not appear in the ‘Human Interface Devices’ list in some cases. If that’s the case, you should click on the View in the taskbar at the top and select ‘Show Hidden Devices.’
Uninstall Bluetooth Devices
Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting from my laptop, Most Windows 10 PC or laptop owners ask the same question on the repeat mode.
If your AirPods do not appear on the ‘Human Interface Devices and it’s already set ay the “Automatic” in services, but you are still unable to find your device.
Then, you have only one option left, and you can hard reset your Bluetooth by uninstalling the devices. Applying this technique will remove all the bugs, and hopefully, you can enjoy your connection for a longer time.
To prevent AirPods keep disconnecting, you can easily follow these steps:
- Search your ‘Device Manager’ by typing it in the Windows search bar.
- Now, click on ‘Bluetooth’ and uninstall the devices one by one until all of them disappear from the list.
- Once you are done, you can restart your Windows PC. It will reinstall the Bluetooth drivers without any old bugs.
Use a Bluetooth Dongle
In the final method to fix the AirPods keep disconnecting on Windows 10 PC, the issue can be more problematic. It could occur if you are PC and AirPods support different Bluetooth versions.
If your Windows 10 PC has a lower version than Bluetooth 5.0, then your AirPods maybe downgrade their connection capacity. It ultimately causes the disconnecting issue on several levels.
We know it’s pretty hard, and not many users can exactly upgrade the built-in Bluetooth version in your PC. For your convenience, you can use Bluetooth Dongle with the 5.0 version instead. It automatically matches the Windows PC version to the AirPods’ version. Ultimately, it delivers a faster data transfer and more stable connection.